Monday, March 25, 2013

Rats!

Literally.

First it was rats in my attic. Now it's rats in my kitchen.

Rats in the attic were signaled by the scampering of tiny feet overhead while I was trying to sleep. Just a nuisance, and one that a few visits from the Rat Man quickly resolved.

Rats in the kitchen are another matter entirely. I discovered dirt all over the kitchen counter and worse, little rat poops along the backsplash and on the windowsill.  I imagine them skittering behind the microwave and around the dishwashing liquid, and then pausing to gaze out the window, perhaps even resting for a moment under the sheltering branches of my miniature cedar tree.  It sounds very picturesque, doesn't it?

Well, not so much. They are a messy visitor.  Their ultimate destination in the kitchen is beneath the stove, where for some unknown reason they have torn out some of the insulation.  Removing the storage drawer created a window into a rat's world, complete with more poops and a smattering of insulation particles, plus a whole lot of cat hair and two missing cat toys.

Now there are traps under the stove and also behind the drawers next to the dishwasher.  So far they have been able to resist the tantalizing smell of peanut butter (this time it's Jif, although the Rat Man says they have no brand loyalty).

I feel bad about the traps, in a way. My little rodent visitors are just doing what God made them to do. But really, couldn't they please do it outside?

6 comments:

  1. Have the footsteps upstairs and bar one, they are also resisting peanut butter and nutella. Time for pest control. I don't want them in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, go with the pros. I think when they get into the attic, they will migrate into the house eventually. (Unfortunately.)

      Delete
  2. We have them in our garage when the weather is bad, I always fear the day that they discover the kitchen. So far, so good. Hope you find a pb that they like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and let's hope so on the pb! Meanwhile, I have put away everything edible in the kitchen and pantry, including the extra cat food. Apparently cat food is a powerful lure.

      Delete
  3. Poor you! What an absolute pain. We had mice in our apartment last year, and it drove me crazy. I felt anxious all the time and every time I heard an unfamiliar noise I was immediately at Defcon-1. (Not to imply that I was in any way armed to deal with the mice. I was not.) I hope you get those awful rodents sorted out soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does make me feel ill at ease in my own house! I'm always a bit squinty-eyed when I go into the kitchen, suspiciously scanning for signs they've been back.

      Delete

Talk to me! I love external validation.