Saturday, March 30, 2013

Most Good Things

. . . must come to an end.

I was late getting started on the Birth Year Reading Challenge this year. Despite posting it here and on the "find a challenge" site that has worked wonderfully in the past to bring in new readers, A Novel Challenge, there was no strong interest.

Lest it sound like I am blaming anyone else, I might as well admit I wasn't very interested, either.

I still like reading, and I still like blogging, but I'm using my time differently now. From what I can see of the blogging community, that's part of an overall trend.  Quite a few people who used to post regularly, even daily, are no longer doing so, or have shifted their focus to another blog and another subject.

This kind of change is often difficult to accept. No matter how we view it, it feels like a loss -- giving up something that has been fun and fulfilling, even to move on to something else fun and fulfilling, feels like one more step on the journey toward losing important things.

Change is always coming, but it can be difficult to embrace it.  So I'm trying to view it as practice for those future changes that are sure to come.

Much as we might like to think so, not everything good is going to be permanent.    

6 comments:

  1. Awww. I hadn't yet figured out how I was going to work it for this year--but I was thinking about it. I'm sorry to hear it's been cancelled. Maybe you'll be ready to run it again sometime.

    I'll be okay though...I've only got about 25 other challenges to fulfill this year. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no no no no. Like Bev, I too was thinking of the year which I could consider as the year of my re-birth. Do do reconsider your decision of cancelling it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really was thinking about the year I would choose but I do understand why you would want to put the challenge to rest. Maybe next year when we've all thought very long and hard. I realize that I am not very consistent or prompt with the challenge - nor with the thinking about it, apparently. I have enjoyed taking part in them, though...thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, all, for your kind words about the challenge and for your understanding. I would be happy to hand it off to a new host if you think that would be a good option. Food for thought . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry to see this go - by participating, I discovered some books I would have never otherwise read. Also sorry that I didn't support it this year: I promised myself I would take on NO challenges this year after nearly burning out last year.

    Thanks for your years of hosting it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debbie. Hosting was a lot of fun! Good luck with your "no challenges" resolution - 2013 is a "free reading" year for me, too.

      Delete

Talk to me! I love external validation.