Sunday, January 9, 2011

Vaguely Unsettling

Overall, I'm happy with my choice of an artificial Christmas tree. It's the right size and shape, it looks quite natural (for a fake), and I have enough ornaments and lights to make it look homey and festive.

The only thing I don't like about the artificial tree is the need to stuff it into a coffin-shaped box once the holidays have run their course. I'm not sure why that bothers me, but it does.

Of course, I'm the person who puts her desktop ivy outside in the shade every weekend, so it won't have to spend two days locked in a dark office. I know that's a living plant, whereas the tree is not living. But I just can't shake the feeling that the box is cruel, somehow.

Goodnight, sweet tree, and flights of angels sing thee to thy rest (until next year).

5 comments:

  1. Yeah, boxing up the tree kinda sucks. We have a fake too, which none of us love but real trees are hard to come by here and expensive, plus we're used to going and hunting our own tree, stomping around and finding it, argueing over which one, getting cold and drinking watery hot chocolate and hauling it home on the car. Not quite the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your experience sounds like fun. I've never been to a cut-your-own, but even going downtown to a charity lot involves a lot of the same elements of adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least you can get yours back in the back. Ours always billows out the top in a rather unsightly fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have gone to a Charlie Brown tree, small and scrawny. We like the message it sends out. My wife still decorates it beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hula, I had to squish this tree to make it fit into the box, and that just added to the creep factor.

    Paul C, I understand how the tree that needs adopting could be the best choice, rather than the "perfect" tree. They all look great when wearing their finery.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.