Friday, January 7, 2011

PBS Comes Through (Again)

After more than two years, I'm still a fan of PaperbackSwap.com. While I sometimes find myself at abebooks.com, trolling for used books that I need right away, PBS is my source for unexpected blessings. There's no telling what free wishlist favorite of mine is going to show up there on any given day.

Here's the latest wish granted, an upgrade from paperback to hardback in my Booker winners collection. The ex-library status makes it less attractive to serious collectors, but I don't care so much about that. The dust jacket is not nearly as faded as the photo makes it appear, though it's not exactly brilliantly colored to begin with. I'm considering swapping out the mylar cover for a new one, since the one it came with is rather dingy. That should brighten things up a bit.

Inside, the book itself is quite nice: deckle edges, clean, tight pages, no foxing, no fading to the boards, etc., etc. Based on the feel, I'd say it languished in the library without ever being read. To me, it's a score.

11 comments:

  1. How/where are you finding books on PBS?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "PBS" in this case means Paperbackswap.com, a free bookswapping site. I've had great luck with it. Highly recommended!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it when I get a "Wish Granted!" email from PaperbackSwap. It's such a nice treat, especially because I have some really weird (but amazing) books on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks J.G. for creating a monster :) I checked out PBS this morning, registered, posted some books that were laying around (2oth century history that I didn't think anybody would be interested in) and now I have to go to the post office Monday to mail 6 books!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually have a fondness for ex library books. Not sure way. I especially enjoy our library's book sale each year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oreneta, foxing is the browning or brown spots (more or less fox-colored) that you find on the pages of older books. It is moisture-related, but also affected by the ph of the paper used.

    Jenny, yes! Sometimes when I put in a wish, I'm thinking "Dream on" but some of those books actually come through. Then I feel like a winner.

    Beachreader, you'll learn the tricks for extending the deadline to get to the p.o. And keep thinking about the 6 books that will come to you free!

    Hula, me, too. I rather enjoy having a book with a little history.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First, any copy of TS,TS is worth having. This was my favorite read of 2010.

    Second, thanks for the reminder about PBS. I was just doing a little gleaning of duplicates (or "de-duping" to use a term my 21-year-old intern just taught me) on my book shelves and see it is time for me to re-activate my account.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rose, I liked it too when I read it, so this is a nice copy for me to have. And PBS is always a good thing, for dupes or otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have you heard of Brodart? They sell a variety of book repair products that could help you remove the tape residue.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brad, yes, I know Brodart well, but thanks for the suggestion. This tape residue isn't actually sticky anymore; it's just discoloration, so it's not big deal to me.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.