Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The 50 Book Challenge 2010 Wrap-Up

Time to move this challenge (hosted by Reading with Sea) off the sidebar, which means I need to officially memorialize the reading list. This challenge was 100% overlapped with my other 2010 challenges, and then some. I actually read a few more than 50 books during the year, but I stopped listing on-line when I hit that number.

However, I did continue writing them down in my official reading notebook, listing each book in order by date finished, title, and author. I started the habit in 2007. There's something very satisfying about reading the last page, closing the back cover, pausing reflectively (often but not always), and then fetching the notebook and making the ceremonial entry. I also enjoy looking back at the list from time to time, to check what I was reading, say, two Januaries ago.

As you can see, there were some wild variations of subject matter. That was fun.

I didn't review everything I read. That was also fun.

I will definitely sign up for this challenge again. I like the big-picture payoff of tracking the total number, which is basically a book per week. Not bad!

1. Cross Creek Cookery - Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings
2. The Lawyer's Guide to Job Security - Richard L. Hermann
3. The Lazarus Project - Aleksandar Hemon
4. Baseball Americana - Harry Katz, et al.
5. Bringing Together - Maxine Kumin
6. Let the Great World Spin - Colum McCann
7. The House of Mirth - Edith Wharton
8. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass - Lewis Carroll
9. Mrs. Bridge - Evan S. Connell, Jr.
10. The Line of Beauty - Alan Hollinghurst
11. Looking for Luck - Maxine Kumin
12. The Overcoat and Other Stories - Nikolai Gogol
13. The Namesake - Jhumpa Lahiri
14. Howards End - E.M. Forster
15. Blood Horses: Notes of a Sportwriter's Son - John Jeremiah Sullivan
16. The Optimist's Daughter - Eudora Welty
17. New and Selected Poems - Mary Oliver
18. No One Cares What You Had for Lunch: 100 Ideas for Your Blog - Margaret Mason
19. Secretariat: The Making of a Champion - William Nack
20. Student's Vegetarian Cookbook - Carole Raymond
21. The Collected Stories of Katherine Anne Porter - Katherine Anne Porter
22. Still to Mow - Maxine Kumin
23. Their Eyes Were Watching God - Zora Neale Hurston
24. Tea Time for the Traditionally Built - Alexander McCall Smith
25. Goodbye, Columbus - Philip Roth
26. A Great and Glorious Game - A. Bartlett Giamatti
27. The Summer Game - Roger Angell
28. The Good Earth - Pearl S. Buck
29. The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie - Muriel Spark
30. Shoeless Joe - W.P. Kinsella
31. Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury
32. White Apples and the Taste of Stone - Donald Hall
33. The Siege of Krishnapur - J.G. Farrell
34. Personality - Andrew O'Hagan
35. In the Next Galaxy - Ruth Stone
36. G. - John Berger
37. Blizzard of One - Mark Strand
38. The Lord of the Rings and Philosophy: One Book to Rule Them All - Gregory Bassham and Eric Bronson, eds.
39. Seasons at Eagle Pond - Donald Hall
40. Pilgrim at Tinker Creek - Annie Dillard
41. How Late It Was, How Late - James Kelman
42. The Wild Iris - Louise Gluck
43. The Nine Seasons Cookbook - Pat Haley
44. In a Free State - V.S. Naipaul
45. The House of the Spirits - Isabel Allende
46. Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha - Roddy Doyle
47. Pursuit of the Prodigal - Louis Auchinclos
48. Selected Poems - Stanley Kunitz
49. The Simple Truth - Philip Levine
50. Lord of Misrule - Jaimy Gordon

2 comments:

  1. I liked this one too. Though I went for one word reviews, life is short for me.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.