Thursday, December 24, 2009

2010: The Year of the Bookers

I know I'm early on my New Year's resolutions--heck, I'm not even quite ready for Christmas!--but with the solstice past and the days just a skosh longer, I'm quite ready to turn the wheel of the year and get on with it.

I always fudge my resolutions, because absolutes are my recipe for failure. As Anne Lamott says, "Perfectionism is the voice of the oppressor." And oppression always makes me want to rebel. By trial and error, I've discovered that if I resolve to be "better" about something, then as long as I'm better, the pressure's off, there's nothing to rebel against, and my venture is primed for success.

This year, among other resolutions to be named later, I am going to put a dent in the Bookers. I have been reading the Man Booker winners for years now, long enough that I could easily have read them all if I wasn't always distracted by everything else that looks good to read on the TBR list. Even my 2009 challenge reading didn't help this category very much.

So! This year I'm making it formal by signing up for the Complete Booker 2010 Challenge. By golly, I'm going to make a dent in them this year! For the Winners Circle of this challenge, I have to read at least 6 winners.

Since I have 19 (count 'em, 19!) unread winners in my actual possession, reading 6 of them should be a piece of cake. Who knows? I might even read more than 6. Wouldn't that be nice?

It could happen. Notice I said "put a dent in" the winners list. That helps me remember I'm reading them because I want to, not because I have to.

Who was it that said that the secret to a successful life is learning to make our weaknesses work in our favor? Was it me?

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for joining the challenge! I'm looking forward to reading your impressions as you put a dent in that winners list ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your phrasing for your resolutions. "Dent" sounds good. It oughta be fun, too.

    Malcolm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your Booker project!

    Have a Merry Christmas!

    And thanks for following Rose City Reader! I always love your comments!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.