Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Mixed Review

I suppose you already know that Bob Dylan has a Christmas album out. Much as I enjoy Dylan in small doses, this is a concept I have trouble getting my mind around. The man can write a song, for sure. But the thought of a Christmas album in that distinctive voice makes my brain hurt.

Given my skeptical attitude, imagine my surprise when I found "Must Be Santa" on YouTube and actually enjoyed it. I'm a pushover for cumulative songs (I still remember one from my college days at Ye Olde Renaissance Faire) and this one has that going for it, along with a whole lot of bouncy accordion. Plus, what's not to like about a song that rhymes "Nixon" with "Vixen" in a presidents/reindeer rundown?

Clearly Dylan has a sense of humor. I suppose it's too much to ask that the man should crack a smile in his own music video. With that demeanor, as one review said, he makes "I'll Be Home for Christmas" seem more like a threat than a promise.

1 comment:

Talk to me! I love external validation.