Monday, July 13, 2020

Life Goes On

It seems that this pandemic will be around for a significant period of time -- not that March to July isn't already significant! -- and another update seems appropriate.

Let's see, what's been happening?  

Like lots of folks across America, I watched Hamilton over the 4th of July weekend. It's truly amazing, a work of genius. No, it's not historically accurate on various levels, but damn, what a story and beautifully told in music that has been swirling around in my head since the first note sounded. I subscribed to Disney+ for a month in order to see it (best $7.00 I ever spent!) and have already watched it 4 times. There's always another layer to enjoy.

I also ordered the Chernow biography upon which the show is based and the book about the show, which includes its creative history and all the lyrics. Yeah, I'm a Hamilton geek now. No apologies.

A friend and I had promised each other that we would see it together, and Saturday night we did the next best thing, which is to stream it at our respective homes and phone and text each other numerous times while watching it. Such fun! 

Given all that, you may want to know: yes, I would still pay $200 a ticket to see it live, when that's possible again.

Which bring us to the pandemic. Sigh. Florida is doing a terrible job of managing this crisis, as are some other states. It's very discouraging. I've been doing my part to stay safe: Working from home. Not going anywhere to speak of. Wearing a mask when I do have to go out. Having groceries delivered. Trying to keep my spirits up, while worrying about my friends. I know many who are older or have health issues that predispose them to increased risk. And now my teacher friends are being told they have to do in-person teaching, starting in about 3 weeks. It just seems crazy, given the numbers and the risks.    
It's kind of hard to realize things have been like this since March, and apparently we wasted the shutdown and the hit to our economy from back then by opening too soon and too recklessly. That's sad. So much sacrifice, and yet here we are with new records for number of cases being set almost every day. 

I'm lucky and grateful to be working from home for a sympathetic employer. We are still extremely busy and that's a good thing. It hasn't been too hard for me emotionally to stay home. I have regular weekly phone calls with friends that help me stay connected. I've done some projects around the house. I've caught up on some paperwork. My daughter sent me an ice cream maker for my birthday and so far I've made nectarine ice cream and chocolate ice cream and pronounced both of them successful. 

I have to admit that I sometimes stay in my pjs until the end of the workday. Please don't tell anyone! 

The cardinals raised a whole passel of babies this year, and I've had the pleasure of watching them just out of the nest, barely able to fly, visiting the feeder and growing more confident and capable every day. There are about 10 babies, so it was a very good year!

The cats are happy and healthy inside, and as lazy as ever. The outdoor gentleman cat has become very friendly and is lobbying to come into the house. I doubt that will happen but he is a pleasure to have around outside. He occasionally sleep on top of my car and when I open the curtains in the morning, there he is, peeking in the window from the carport, right about eye level.

There is no summer league baseball for fans, unless you count being able to watch via live feed. It's not the same as being in the ballpark. Not that I'm complaining that they're taking no chances. (Well, maybe just a little bit.)

And so life goes on.
        

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see this update, Jane. Stay healthy and happy.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.