Note: Sign-ups for this challenge are now closed.
Reading comes naturally, right, so why not read something natural? This challenge encourages reading books about nature from a variety of perspectives.
The categories are intentionally broad and numerous, and both fiction and non-fiction are eligible. All genres are eligible, too, so everything from a camping how-to book to a Harlequin romance can qualify!
Even if you're not outdoorsy, you'll find something to suit you. Reading outdoors is highly recommended, but optional.
1. Join anytime before March 1, 2019. The challenge ends at midnight EST on January 15, 2020.
2. Choose your reading level:
Exposed to Nature: Read 1 to 3 books
Engaged with Nature: Read 4 to 6 books
Immersed in Nature: Read 7 or more books
3. Books can be fiction or non-fiction, any genre.
4. Choose your books from some of these categories -- or pick them yourself!
written by Rachel Carson, Henry David Thoreau, Aldo Leopold,
Gary Snyder, or another giant of science or conservation
OUTDOORS GEAR ON THE COVER
backpack, snowshoes, snorkel and fins, etc.
ANIMAL OR BIRD RELATED
emphasizing future consequences
sailing around the world, mountain climbing, etc.
SET IN A WILDERNESS LOCALE
how to camp, kayak, survive in the woods, etc.
speaking up for nature
BIOGRAPHY OR MEMOIR OF AN ENVIRONMENTALIST/CONSERVATIONIST
Jacques Cousteau, Jane Goodall, Teddy Roosevelt, or another nature advocate
ORION BOOK AWARD WINNER OR FINALIST
any year, any subject (2016 winners and finalists here,
earlier winners and finalists here)
5. Books may come from your TBR pile or list, but they don’t have to.
6. Overlaps with other challenges are allowed and encouraged.
7. Lists must be determined and posted in the comments on this post before the challenge closing date of March 1, 2019. After that date, books may be substituted at any time.
8. Reviews and reactions are encouraged, but you don’t need a blog to participate. Goodreads is just fine.
9. Progress will be tracked at a “Progress & Reviews page” in the sidebar.
10. Please pass the word about this challenge! A sign-up post on your blog would be excellent. Feel free to borrow the button for display, too.
When you meet your reading goal, you'll receive a small, fun, nature-related prize personally selected for you!
Soon after the challenge closes on January 15, 2020, all the readers who've met their reading goals will be entered into a drawing for a new or gently used copy of the Orion Book Award winner or finalist of their choice. Any reader who has already read an Orion Book Award winner or finalist as part of the challenge (see categories suggested above) will receive an extra entry into the drawing. Doesn't that sound nice?
If you're in, sign up below by leaving a message in the comments with your list or a link.