Monday, June 26, 2017

Help Wanted


Okay, I'm just not feeling it. (There! I've said it.)

A Brief History of Seven Killings is the 2015 Man Booker Prize winner. To complete my quest I am honor bound to read it.

But.

I am 107 pages in and not liking it one bit.

It's written in voices, so every chapter is narrated by someone different. There have already been plenty of beatings and killings and assorted other acts of violence described, not in gory detail, but in sufficient detail that I'm continually peeking around the turning of a page with anticipation of more words I don't want to read painting pictures I don't want to see.

In pursuit of the Bookers I've suffered through several books I didn't like (How Late It Was, How Late comes readily to mind). But this time I am just not willing to do it.

I don't want to be a quitter. But I do want to be discerning.

This is especially important because there are other books on my 2017 list that I suspect will produce a similar reaction, and because I committed to many of them through various challenge reading lists.

So help me out here, blog friends: What are your personal rules for disengagement, when a book just isn't cutting it for you?

And what I really mean is: how do I know when to quit?

1 comment:

  1. Nancy Pearl says to take your age (if over 50) and subtract it from 100, and that is where to quit if you aren't liking the book. https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/books-and-media/nancy-pearls-rule-of-50-for-dropping-a-bad-book/article565170/
    So, there is one of the great pluses of getting older! I'm a big one for quitting if I don't love a book. Once in a great while I will soldier on, but mostly I can tell pretty early on if a book is for me or not. And prize winners for me are almost always deadly. I don't know why. I think maybe that the world at large likes different kinds of books than I do.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.