Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Change of Heart

Okay, so I did some research about my "when to quit" dilemma.

Answers were all over the board. Some people said that as soon as you start questioning why you're reading the book, it's okay to decide not to continue. Others said you needed to give it a certain number of chapters, or a certain number of pages.

And of course, there were the diehards who said you had to finish, no matter what. Some of my most admired reading friends fell into that category, and I was mildly ashamed of myself for even asking the question, given their stalwart sense of what was necessary . . .  even when they very kindly said they wouldn't think less of me if I didn't hold myself to the same high standard.

I had fun researching the question and soliciting opinions. In the process I realized I'd probably never get over my disappointment if I didn't stick to my personal goal.

It's the goals we set for ourselves that are the hardest to abandon, am I right?

So. Onward! I said I would read all the Booker winners, and I will. Because no one can give me permission to abandon a self-imposed goal except myself, and I'm not going to do that.

Besides, the book has picked up a little bit lately. I think I'm actually beginning to enjoy it.

2 comments:

  1. Well, I am glad you are plodding on. Somehow or the other I feel mighty guilty if I don't finish a book though at times I abandon it and then have to re-read from the beginning once again):

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! Just seeing this comment now!

      I hardly ever quit. I wish I was better at it, but I definitely lean to the "virtues of perseverance" side of the argument. In this case it paid off, because the book really got going toward the end. Lesson learned!

      Delete

Talk to me! I love external validation.