Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Less is Plenty

I gave up having a full-size Christmas tree years ago, when my then-husband and I grew tired of having to tie it to the wall to keep our young cats from toppling it. The cats loved sleeping underneath it among the presents and occasionally rambling into the boughs, but it was just too much effort and worry. Once we made the non-traditional choice, it was a big relief and the world did not come to an end.

Then-husband has moved on, as have I, and the kitties lived out their lives in love and safety as the years rolled on. I confess to "tree envy" now and again, and even succumbed to using an artificial tree for a few years. But now I'm back to a tabletop tree and happy with that choice. (Shout-out to Connie over at Connie Cooks and Contemplates for her small-tree solidarity.)

My Christmas decorations are down to two boxes of my very favorite things, with Kayak Guy's favorite things added to the mix. I spread everything out on the entry buffet, with votive candles to take up the bare spots, and work the small presents in. Larger presents pile on the floor nearby. It creates a festive holiday display -- on a manageable scale.

The tabletop tree, peeking around the gifts 

NOEL candle holders from Kayak Guy's childhood

My ornaments from Russia, plus a few others

On the front door, some classic yarn
kitsch made by Kayak Guy's dad

Of course, things could be different next year. One never knows.

At a public library in Sulęcin, Poland, shared on Facebook

Posted on Facebook by Jonathan W. Pote

2 comments:

  1. All your things look so nice! I'm a real tree, big tree kinda girl and hope I can always have one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nan! I thought I would miss having a tree more than I do . . . but we get a fresh wreath and that gives us the piney scent, and I decorate in other ways, so it's not too bad. Still, I know what you mean: nothing's quite like a real tree with sentimental ornaments on it!

      Delete

Talk to me! I love external validation.