Friday, July 29, 2016

Feeding the Fever



Book life is getting ready to explode, so I think I'd better confess now.

With more time on my hands, I decided to do some volunteer work to add some structure to my days. Where else to volunteer but at the local library's used bookstore?

The people are very nice and the system is quite straightforward. On my first day I learned about front desk operations, filed some magazines, labeled some shelves, and reorganized the Classics section. I also got a glimpse of the back room, where the donations are processed. (Talk about a vision of paradise!) Perhaps I will get to explore there soon.

Oh, and I brought home $20 worth of books. Thanks to the "we're so glad you joined the Friends of the Library" coupon for 50% off, they only cost me $10. But still, at $2 or $3 each, that's a whole stack of books that came home with me.

A few will help me with my writing coach work (another aspect of my new independence). A few were books from my reading lists, now reclassified from "looking for" to "on the TBR shelf." A few prize-winning gems that I already read will be swapped immediately for other books. And a few of them, well, looked like the sort of thing I'd like to read.

You can see where this is going: Great fun. Big mistake. I suppose I could have volunteered to work in a candy store with similar results.

3 comments:

  1. My library is new, but still relatively small. e have a "used books cart" - no "store to volunteer in. {sigh} Just as well. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, no temptation - but no benefits, either! I wonder what your library does with the books they no longer have shelf space for? Ex-library books are quite a large part of our selection, and a nice little on-going fundraiser for buying new library books.

      Delete
  2. I love checking out the used books in libraries whenever I travel. I have found some really great stuff, and the hunt is fun. I don't know if it would be a good thing for me to actually work in a library or not....

    Paula

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.