Saturday, June 4, 2016

The Color Coded Reading Challenge 2016


I'm late to the party, but . . . . Whatever.

Nine books in 2016 (only 6 months for me, because yikes, it's already June), chosen because they have certain colors in the title or on the cover: shades of blue, red, yellow, green, brown, black, and white, plus one color of your choice, plus one with a word that implies color (rainbow, paisley, stripe, etc.).

This challenge is chosen in accordance with my personal rule -- newly enacted just today -- that I will not accept any challenges that require the reading of books that aren't already on my TBR List. The TBR List grows just fine on its own, thank you very much.

Anyone not filled up with challenge reading already is welcome to check out My Reader's Block and join in. Then at least I'll be ahead of one person!

Here's my list:

Blue: Heart of Palm - Laure Lee Smith (Florida Book Award) finished 6/18/16 (review)
Red: Wolf Hall - Hilary Mantel (Booker Prize) finished 7/5/16 (review)
Yellow: The Lacuna - Barbara Kingsolver (Orange/Baileys Prize) finished 8/9/16 (review)
Green: The Song of Achilles - Madeline Miller (Orange/Baileys Prize) finished 8/13/16 (review)
Brown: The Famished Road - Ben Okri (Booker Prize) finished 9/10/16 (review)
Black: Narcopolis - Jeet Thayil (DSC Prize) finished 10/20/16 (review)
White: The Lowland - Jhumpa Lahiri (DSC Prize) finished 10/30/16 (review)
Choice: Tourist Season - Enid Shomer (pale aqua) (Florida Book Award) finished 11/3/16 (review)
Implied: Ilustrado - Miguel Syjuco (you have to illustrate with colors, or at least with black and white, right?) (Man Asian Prize) finished 1/16/17 (too late!) (review)

4 comments:

  1. Wolf Hall and La /Lacuna....both excellent reads!!!!! Then there is Murakami's Colourless Tsukuru Takami and his years of Pilgrimage...also excellent!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to both of them. Thanks for the recommendations, too. I'm always on the lookout for new authors.

      Delete
  2. Hey, thanks for joining in! Glad to have you no matter when you start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Bev! It feels good to be started on a challenge again, and to be on board with one of yours.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.