Friday, August 2, 2013

Game Over


Baseball always makes me feel philosophical this time of year.

Local baseball wrapped up last night, with a difficult 9th inning loss by the home team. Much as I wanted to see the River Rats advance to the championship game, I can't possibly say they deserve it after giving up the tying run on a bobbled bases-loaded single that followed a series of miscues, and the go-ahead run on a bases-loaded walk. Followed by the insurance run, also on a bases-loaded walk.

It was a really good game for a while there, and then it got ugly.  Oh well.

The bigger picture is that this is the end of local baseball, which clearly signals the progress of the seasons. It's August already. The days are already noticeably shorter and, while I have plans for another long river trip before summer's end, we're already turning toward fall.

Another season, soon another year. It all goes by so quickly.

2 comments:

  1. Another river trip! And a long one....sounds marvelous. You make me want to go back to Florida!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This trip will be on the "other half" of the river, from Sanford to the headwaters near Vero Beach. It will be fun and wild and mysterious out there on "non-navigable" waters. And yes, you should come back to Florida!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.