Monday, August 12, 2013

Catch-Up Weekend

After traveling last week for work, I spent the weekend trying to put things in order again. A lot of laundry, a much-needed paperwork purge (really, do I still need to be saving my tax return from 1995?), a little bookshelf refresh, a few hours in the kitchen, a home-cooked meal, and I'm ready to face the week!

The first order of business today is a trip to the bank. This is not a good thing. Someone filched my debit card info and had a fine old time on my dime. By the time I noticed, there was quite a bit of impact to my account. The fraud hotline at the bank assures me I'll get the money back, but it's still pretty upsetting. Even more creepy: the card never left my possession, except of course for occasional restaurant use. If I hadn't been checking my account online, I'd never have known anything was wrong. You can bet I'll be rethinking my financial strategy after this.

Doing some gardening is a nice antidote for this kind of news. I visited a new nursery, where they had lots of native plants, and did some planting.



I'm slowly transforming my yard from a fairly typical piecemeal older home landscape (mostly grass, with a few awesome mature trees and shrubs, plus assorted odds and ends that look like they came from someone's leftover terrarium) into what I envision as a diverse and welcoming haven for birds, lizards, butterflies, and assorted other small creatures.

That means flowers and berries and natives in particular (mostly). One of the nice things about using natives is that any "volunteers" fit right in, instead of being considered weeds. I try to keep things orderly, but I don't take it too seriously.



(The red sage is a native, and it will spread like crazy. The other one is last year's poinsettia, which seems to like its new home very much. It has doubled in size, although I think it gets too much night-time light to ever turn red again.)  

I must be doing something right, because just today I saw three different kinds of butterflies. I hope they are staying around long enough to lay eggs, because I have intentionally included lots of host plants for caterpillars to munch on. One tiny paradise, coming up. 

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I do like your garden philosophy. I really don't think there are any weeds in the word - just wildflowers. Good luck with the butterfly population.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Learning the names of the volunteers is like a pop quiz every few days - very fun, wildflower book in hand!

      Delete
  2. Ugh, poor you! I hope your bank gets everything sorted out very quickly. At least you have all the cool butterflies to cheer you up eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My money is on walkabout for 5-7 more days, and the bank was quite ho-hum about it. Good reason to keep my mind of what's important, like butterflies!

      Delete
  3. Great garden! I am envious...very, very envious.

    I had that happen with my debit card, but I found out because they called me when $4,000 was debited...in Russia. Like you, my card never left my possession. It is freaky, in part because it seems hard to figure out what can be done differently while still living a normal life. Sigh. I hope your bank gets all sorted asap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to take some more garden pictures after I make a little more progress. Glad you like it so far.

      As for the card thing, I got the money back today, so whew! Even though my money went to the next county over and not Russia (yikes!), it's still pretty creepy.

      Delete

Talk to me! I love external validation.