Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Notes From All Over

I woke up in Jacksonville this morning and went for a walk along the river, just as the sun was coming up. It was just me and some joggers, and two people sleeping in the park. Oh, and some dolphins. That was great!

It sure was different seeing the bridges from the Riverwalk. Last time I saw them, I was kayaking under them. Such happy memories of the crazy currents there. 



I am about 80% of the way toward introducing the kitten to the cat. It is taking me forever. I know it's my own anxiety that's making it such a slow process. I probably worry way more about the What Ifs than both of them put together. But I just can't quite get it done -- yet.

The fleas are terrible this year and I am losing the battle. Today I got flea collars from the vet for both kitties. They are expensive but will be worth it if they work, and I only need to buy them every 8 months, so the per month number is not too bad (balanced against the time and expense of everything I've been doing that hasn't been working).

It has been raining almost every day: huge pouring thunderstorms with lots of lightning and dramatic skies. That's just great, because we really need the rain. And the late afternoon thunderstorm pattern is so typically Florida, it makes me feel like a kid again.

On the other hand, a few days ago a huge thunderstorm at 3 a.m. made it impossible to fall asleep again, after the thunder and lightning woke me up.  I finally just got up and started my day, because it was clearly a waste of time to stay in bed and worry about not getting enough sleep.  

I've been trying to transition my yard to native flowers and plants, slowly but surely moving away from a grassy lawn and clearly defined borders to a more natural layout with less grass and more diversity. Now come to find out this kind of getting-around-to-it gardening is called Slow Gardening (analogous to Slow Food).  I'm trendy and didn't even know it. I thought I was just lazy . . . or easily distracted.

One happy consequence of spending time outside this past weekend was a very cool wicker rocking chair I picked out of the alley, courtesy of my neighbor. It needs a coat of paint and a new cushion.  It's really true: someone's trash is someone else's treasure. I wonder what she will think when she someday sees it happily doing its rocking thing on my back porch? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me! I love external validation.