Thursday, April 11, 2013

The Naming of Hal


I finally broke down and got a smartphone, after an exciting hiking experience that would have been ever so much more efficient (but not nearly as adventurous and fun!) if I'd had a working compass or GPS.

A friend informed me that what I had was a "dumb phone." Ouch.

Now I am the proud and somewhat befuddled owner of a Razr M droid.

I'm not tech phobic, so I am enjoying learning new skills like touchscreen, e-calendaring, and mobile e-mail. I realize everyone else has known this for ages, but hey, it's new to me.

I have especially enjoyed testing the navigation feature. It's totally cool that I can speak the address into the phone and it then speaks the directions to me in a very pleasant female voice. I tested it last night on the drive from work to home, and it worked perfectly.

Then I tested it on the drive from home to downtown, a distance of 18 blocks and well, that was not so successful. My driver did not take the route suggested, and the phone did not seem able to recalculate quickly enough. It kept telling him to turn in various directions and some of them were simply impossible.

More importantly, when I tried to exit the navigation feature, I could not figure out how to do that. I decided to turn the phone off, but it continued to give me directions - somewhat muffled by the fact I had put it back in its case and inside my purse. 

That was puzzling, and a bit creepy. How can it still be working if it's turned off?

But at least I got the phone's name out of the experience. I shall call her Hal.     

4 comments:

  1. I have been suffering a from a wee bit of phone envy. I just wish they were a lot smaller and a lot tougher. I still love my little stupid phone, I will confess and feel bizarrely disloyal for considering a smart phone.

    Though I have to say that you turned me off a bit with thecreepy nav story, and I honestly don't want to be able to read fb or blogs or email anywhere I go. They are life eaters best restricted to actual computers. Rather read a book.

    They are cool though, aren't they.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have resisted . . . mostly because I do not want the constant, addictive input. (That way lies madness.) Now that I've done it, though, I'm determined that it will *not* take over my life. Yes, I'd much rather read a book!

      Delete
  2. Agree with oreneta. Those smart phones are so big - even the new ones that are thinner. I owned one for a week and had to give it back because I couldn't bear the learning curve. I do experience twinges of regret and envy, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine is very thin and light, and just a bit bulkier with the case. However, I don't carry it everywhere, so it's not too burdensome. As for the learning curve: I am just learning one new thing per day for a while. As long as I can use it as a phone and alarm clock (and GPS occasionally), I'm happy.

      Delete

Talk to me! I love external validation.