Saturday, April 20, 2013

Overheard at the Beach

This post could also be called "The Picture I Didn't Take."

As part of a project I'm involved in, I went to the beach yesterday.  My friends and I were just walking and observing in our clothes, with neither the relaxed attitude nor the abbreviated attire of the other beach-goers, most of whom were clearly there for the day.

While we were walking, we saw 4 women and a little girl coming toward us. Each of the women was wearing what I can only describe as a string bikini plus one other article of clothing. One had on the bikini top and a pair of yoga pants. Another was wearing the bikini plus a pair of beach shoes. There were a lot of tattoos in evidence, and each woman weighed over 250 pounds.  As you can imagine, there was a lot of swinging and jiggling going on. It was definitely a case of TMI.

What made me want to take a photograph was the contrast of these heavy women laboring along the sand, while the little girl skipped along in front of them in her blonde curls and cute little one-piece suit. She might have been 5 or 6 years old. It was just a great visual.

But I didn't want to be rude and scramble for the camera to take a surreptitious photo, and I wasn't quite ready to be bold enough to ask permission - so I let the moment go by.

Just as we passed them, I heard one say, "And you know, I still have to deal with your sister's probation issue."

That made me even more sorry I didn't take the picture.

       

5 comments:

  1. I always wonder what kind of child the elderly person might have been like. But now, as I see the many large folks in our society, I wonder what they were like as kids. Were they lithe and active? What happened to those kids? I think your photo would have been very telling. The swimwear - now that's a whole other story, isn't it? And, every day I see more and more tattoos which cover more and more area of the skin. My socially-oriented mind sees a research opportunity. What does it mean?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All those thoughtful questions would have been asked by the photo, Stephanie, plus maybe also "What does life do to us, as we live it?"

      Delete
  2. A photo from the behind would have been very interesting - and then you wouldn't have had to put those black rectangles over their eyes ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely - if I could have angled it to include the child. I'm sorry to say I didn't even think of that.

      Delete
  3. No picture required my friend, you painted a perfect one with your words!!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.