Monday, January 7, 2013

Looking Back, Looking Forward

Hello and happy new year!

After a long absence, I am determined to reopen the Cafe again in 2013. Frankly, I've missed the writing and the visiting and you, my bloggy friends. Part of my focus for this year (I hesitate to say "resolutions") is to spend less time on the things that matter less, and more time on the things that matter more. And so, here I am again.

Since I last wrote in any detail, I said goodbye to a sweet companion of 17 years. The Princess was devoted to me from day one, when she stole my heart as a tiny, wild kitten with a broken leg. One of my favorite memories of her is that on cold nights she used to sleep on my head.  It was like wearing a warm, fuzzy, vibrating hat, and thoroughly cozy for both of us. Our last years were particularly good ones; she enjoyed becoming an only cat and having all my attention.  I miss her every day.


I also moved into a new neighborhood, much nearer to the man in my life and in the midst of an artsy and historic small town that is doing its best to keep its main street character intact. I'm renting a house I would love to buy and enjoying its 1930's character and quirkiness.


I used the opportunity of moving to organize my bookshelves by color. The finished shelves, decked out for Christmas, turned out nicely! (This is most but not all of the books. Very deficient in purple, for some reason.) But it was terribly difficult to find things as quickly as I wanted.  I am about halfway through organizing them back into subject areas.  


The house that led me on such a wild chase this summer has been purchased and is being renovated. I imagine it will become a rental and I am still keeping an eye on it. I'm no longer interested, but I still like seeing how it is doing, now and again.     

I have been to some lovely places, made some wonderful new friends, heard some great music, and seen some fantastic art.





One of my law professors used to talk about how juries award damages to injured people by assigning a monetary amount to each year affected.  It's a flawed method, and he used to highlight the flaws by asking, "Aren't some years better than others?"

I can confidently say that yes, some years are indeed better than others, and overall, 2012 was one of the very best. Perhaps 2013 will be one of the best, as well. 

6 comments:

  1. Lovely to see you back in blogland. Hope that 2013 is all you could wish for - and more. I did wonder what it would be like to find a book in the beautiful color organization. It sure looks pretty, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The color system is difficult because I have to remember what color the spine is before I look for a particular book. Pretty, but taxing.

      Delete
  2. Glad to have you back. Great to hear that you had a wonderful year. Hope the good times continue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Overall, yes, it was a wonderful year, and 2013 looks good so far. Thank you!

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry about your cat. You must feel so, so sad and miss her. I hope you are doing okay. It sounds like a lot of other things are going well for you! I love the way your color-organized books look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I do miss her and her quirky ways. Other things are fresh and good, though, and the books were fun to play around with.

      Delete

Talk to me! I love external validation.