Monday, August 6, 2012

Around Town

My future home town prides itself on being an old-fashioned Florida small town with a contemporary attitude. Someday soon I'll write a profile that shows off the notable sights.

For now, here's a pseudo-postcard. I'm sorry this market is no longer open. I would love to be able to say, "Here's where I buy my fish."

The downtown farmer's market was bustling bravely on Saturday morning. It tries hard to please, but is still a little heavy on the crafts side of things. My friend Bill laments the fact that Mr. Pickle doesn't come 'round anymore. I am too new in town to understand his feeling of loss, but I am missing the Cheese Man. He hasn't been seen since June, and I am sadly in need of a white wine cheddar fix.

Desiring neither a bamboo flute nor some handcrafted soap, I settled for fresh French bread, tomatoes, chocolate chip cookies, and rainbow carrots. The rainbow carrots alone were worth the trip. So pretty!

Tasty, too.

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about those farmers' markets. We tried for years to get one in our village square. Success was fleeting though as the sales weren't enough to keep the good vendors. Crafty folks don't seem to have the same need for high turnover.

    I wish yours more success as people like you buy the produce. The carrots are pretty! Looking forward to a tour.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.