Wednesday, February 1, 2012

A New Path

(photo by Bill Belleville)

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler . . .

Those famous lines from one of my favorite poems, Robert Frost's masterpiece The Road Not Taken, suit many occasions. They seem particularly appropriate now.

In past months I have been introduced to my native state of Florida and initiated into appreciating some of her wild places in wholly new ways. About the same time, I began chafing under the current format of this blog -- for reasons I didn't really understand.

I posted about my restlessness and that helped reinvigorate my blogging impulse. And I wrote about being outdoors. Despite all that, I was still troubled by "fit" -- by the fact that this blog is basically a casual, low-pressure diary/journal/soapbox about books (mostly), with periodic detours into whatever is on my mind at the time.

What nature calls up in me is quite different from what I discuss here at the Cafe, and wants to be expressed in a different way. It took me a while to realize--with the wise counsel of a friend--that what I needed was a separate place for "the nature stuff."

That difference now finds its expression in a new blog, Nature . . . Off the Leash. It feels just as right--in its own way--as the bookish goings-on here.

Unlike the speaker in Frost's poem, I intend to take both paths in the hope of being one traveler at the end of the journey.

It would be my pleasure if you would come along.

2 comments:

Talk to me! I love external validation.