Friday, February 24, 2012

A Gift and a Resolution


A gift is a delightful thing, and the gift of a book is even better.

I received this wonderful book recently (inscribed to me by the author, no less) and am so excited to read it. I'm familiar enough with Zora Neale Hurston to know I will enjoy learning more about her and her work. (If you have not read Their Eyes Were Watching God, you have missed out. It's a quest novel like no other. Go put it on your TBR list right now!)

Also, I'm just starting to learn about Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings, which is always a good place to be. I don't know how I have missed her all this time. Although I read The Yearling as children's literature, I realize now that was only an entry point to the rest of her work. (Same recommendation for Cross Creek. It's a product of its times in the segregated South, but the nature writing is superb.)

So thanks to this gift book, my joy in discovery will have at least two facets -- the old refreshed and the new awakened.

The glances I've taken inside are enough to tell me it's no dry academic study. Even more reason to dive right in.

And yet . . . This is an incredibly busy month for me. My reading time is essentially nil. But there's something just plain wrong with a life that doesn't include time for reading.

So, forthwith, a late resolution for 2012: more reading. Period. Starting right now.

3 comments:

  1. Oh more reading is always a good resolution...but to find the time:)
    What a great gift to find your book is also signed by the authour. Sigh. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine not reading something for pleasure every day. Even a page before signing off for the day counts.
    Enjoy your gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Stephanie, it is a lovely gift. And I think the focus I need is to "make" the time, because I'll never "find" it.

    Stephanie V, you're right, even that paragraph or two (!) before sleep counts as reading, but it's not enough for me. I aspire to more.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.