Monday, April 25, 2011

Pre-Printing Press Challenge: Wrap-Up


I used to talk about books a lot on this blog, but lately they haven't been on the radar. In fact, my most recent review dates back to January.

(Note to self: No wonder you are feeling so disconnected. You have a huge case of Not Enough Fiction. You aren't making any time in your life for one of the things that gives you the most pleasure. Wise up!)

The simple fact is that I haven't been reading anything to speak of. The odd magazine here and there. Bits and pieces of several books. It's a measure of how jangly things have been lately that I have multiple books going at once, something that rarely happens to me.

All this despite the fact that the conclusion of the Pre-Printing Press Challenge is bearing down on me like a runaway train. With a week to go, the only solution I can see is to admit defeat for this challenge. Reviews will follow, but I'll do my wrap-up post now, such as it is! (Sigh. I hate being humbled like this.)

1. The Histories - Herodotus (Greek, 443 - 420 BCE): This is a perfectly acceptable book, filled with interesting events and details (some of them fantastical), but history is simply not for me. In about a month of 5-minute increments, I've slogged through to page 63. With 500+ pages still to go, I don't think I can persevere. Life is too short!

2. On Horsemanship - Xenophon (Greek, 350 BCE): I've been saving this one for last, and intend to switch to it forthwith. I'm betting I can read it in a week, so at least this selection will work out.

3. Ecclesiastical History of England - Venerable Bede (English, c. 730 CE): See comments above. Another snoozer from the Department of History, I'm afraid.

4. Old English Poems and Riddles - Chris McCully, trans. (English, c. 400-1066 CE): Loved the material, hated the translation. Details to come, for your reading or skipping pleasure.

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes life gets in the way, what can we do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life may not be the party we hoped for,
    but while we are here we might as well dance.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.