Monday, March 28, 2011

Have To/Want To

Today's questions include: Why am I spending so much time doing "have to" things that there is hardly any room for the "want to" things?

Ugh, that question is terribly depressing.

On the bright side, I finished gathering and organizing my tax documents, ready to deliver to the accountant. Only about 45 days later than usual! This is a "have to" that I'm glad to be done with.

I saw a fantastic baseball game Sunday. Both teams played as though they were defending no-hitters even though it was only the third inning, the lead changed hands several times, two pitchers faced 4 or 5 batters without getting a single out, and the game came down to the last out in the bottom of the 9th. AND I found a baseball on the sidewalk while I was walking back to my car. You can't beat that for good value. And that was a "want to."

Tomorrow evening I'll be joining friends for dinner and a poetry reading. That's a "want to," too.

I'll be taking a riding lesson this weekend, if all goes as planned. Ditto for that one.

Maybe this "have to/want to" thing isn't as unbalanced as it seems. What a happy thought!

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, that have to - want to .... I always find it's a good moment for a little assessment,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so sympathise, when I am bored at work I remind myself that doing that is what enables me to do be able to do the things I really want to the rest of the time, and I usually find there are enough compensations.
    thanks for sharing
    martine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meh, tax season always feels like a proliferation of have-to things. I keep thinking I've done all my have-to stuff, and then more crops up. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh a riding lesson sounds like a have to! Must make time for fun :)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.