Monday, March 14, 2011

Garden Pics

Okay, here goes with the relocated garden. I moved from Bed #13 to Bed #21, which gets much better sun. Now my plants won't be leeeeeeaning sideways anymore.

Clockwise from top left: Nasturtiums (little round parasol leaves), bush beans (pointy leaves), mesclun lettuce (multi-colored and -shaped leaves), frisee lettuce (fluffy leaves), and more mesclun lettuce. The mesclun is a mix of tender baby lettuce types, some sweet and some spicy. They are ready to harvest now with a snip of the scissors.

Some very happy parsley, with beans in the background and frisee in the foreground.


Bug's eye view of mesclun (center) and parsley (at left), with beans and nasturtiums in the back. That's not a black snake, it's a soaker hose that automatically comes on once a day for about 15 minutes. I use the regular hose every other day to hand water. Because the beds are raised, they drain very well, so it's almost impossible to drown anything.

Aren't the nasturtiums brilliant? They are easy to plant, too, because the pale, wrinkly seeds are about the size of a pea. (In contrast, the lettuce seed is like dust.)

I have loved nasturtiums since I was a little girl, planting a garden with my dad. He was a New Hampshire native who lived in Florida for 40 years, but never failed to rejoice when the Burpee catalog appeared in the mailbox every January. Old habits die hard.

Nasturtiums are edible, but I just like to enjoy them.

Planted, but nothing to show yet: zucchini and yellow squash. They should be up any day now.

1 comment:

  1. Looks LOVELY!!!! Maybe I should put in some Nasturtiums too. Hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.