Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Sasquatch Moment

Guess who I saw up at the garden the other day?

It's always a treat to see a pileated woodpecker, although they are fairly common. This one was right smack in the middle of a neighborhood, near the hospital and the local YMCA.

They are fairly large birds (about the size of a crow) and very flashy. In flight, they follow an undulating path that shows black and white with a red accent. The males have a red stripe on the side of the face, while the females have a black stripe (this one seems to be a female).

I knew she was around because I could hear the search for a new home going on. "Knock? . . . Knock? . . . Knock?" Funny how testing a tree for buildability can sound so questioning.

I started scanning the trees right away. Then I was sure. "Ha ha ha ha ha." (Sound file here, and a very nice picture.)

I grabbed the camera and started stalking. It wasn't easy on my neck, but at least you can tell who this is. Sort of.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! We love birds at our house. I stalk them frequently with the camera...and usually come up empty handed. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photo of the bird! I really like woodpeckers too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my, this is a remarkable visit. We have only seen one and it was so exciting and beautiful to catch its quick visit.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.