Friday, February 18, 2011

2011 Battle of the Prizes - British Version

Rose City Reader doubles the challenge challenge by hosting a British version of the Battle of the Prizes, featuring the Man Booker prize winners against the James Tait Black prize winners. Can you believe it took two years of this challenge before I figured out why it shows a British bulldog and a Scottie terrier? Duh. All this reading and I'm still thick as a plank.

The rules for this fun and somewhat offbeat challenge are posted here. The 3 or 4 books required are easy to knock off and I can vouch for the quality of the Bookers, at least (knowing practically nothing about the James Tait Black prize). Chances are, you won't be disappointed!

My list this year will be:

1. Booker winner: Sacred Hunger - Barry Unsworth. It's getting harder to find a Booker book I haven't read, which is a very positive sign. I started out nearly 10 years ago to read them all and I might actually achieve that goal this year, if I don't stall out.

2. James Tait Black winner: Our Horses in Egypt - Rosalind Belben. From the TBR stack! What a nice suprise!

3. Winner of both: Midnight's Children - Salman Rushdie. Another Booker winner bites the dust. This really might be the year I finish them all.

3 comments:

  1. Did you like Midnight's Children? I did, I thought it was a wonderful book, but I was also pretty happy to finish it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read it yet, Oreneta, so I'll have to let you know. I'm glad you liked it, though. That's a good sign.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for signing up again! I added you to the list of participants on the main challenge post.

    Sacred Hunger is one of my picks too. I am looking forward to it. I just reviewed my first Booker pick, Wolf Hall. Loved it. Have you read that one yet? I'll go search for your review to find out.

    I loved Midnight's Children. It did kind of ruin me, though, for other Rushdie books and other books by contemporary Indian authors -- they usually seem like pale comparisons.

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.