Friday, February 18, 2011

2011 Battle of the Prizes - American Version

This is a fun challenge, so I'm happy to allow some Pulitzer Prize for fiction winners and National Book Award for fiction winners duke it out in my head for another year. At a recent dinner party, I was able to enthusiastically join in a conversation about Let the Great World Spin, thanks 100% to last year's pitched battle between these two major prizes.

Rose City Reader runs this interesting challenge with just the right amount of structure. Details are here if you want to join in.

My list:

1. Winner of the Pulitzer: The Known World - Edward P. Jones. It's been in the TBR stack forever, simply because I have a good feeling about it. We'll see how that pans out.

2. Winner of the National Book Award: World's Fair - E.L. Doctorow. Another TBR dust-catcher.

3. Winner of both: Rabbit is Rich - John Updike. I've never read any Updike. It's time.

1 comment:

  1. Just checking in. Do you have any reviews to post?

    I'll go searching around your blog to see what I can find.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.