Monday, August 16, 2010

The Tattooed Desert


I must have been almost crazy
to start out alone like that on my bicycle
pedalling into the tropics carrying
a medicine for which no one had found
the disease and hoping
I would make it in time

I passed through a paper village under glass
where the explorers first found
silence and taught it to speak
where old men were sitting in front
of their houses killing sand without mercy

brothers I shouted to them
tell me who moved the river
where can I find a good place to drown

Richard Shelton
"The Tattooed Desert"

(photo credit)

2 comments:

  1. That's the wonderful thing about poetry...taken literally it makes no sense. But, let the words into your mind's imaginative world and, oh, my! That's a powerful piece of writing.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.