Saturday, December 26, 2009

Man-Cooking in Two States

C.S. went to visit his folks this Christmas and they had a deep fried turkey. No photos of that, unfortunately. But heating the oil involved quite a lot of equipment and supervision by various male relatives.

Meanwhile, my Yorkshire pudding was a big success. The Making of the Pudding was quite a production when I was growing up: my father's contribution to Christmas dinner and a source of tension, in case it didn't rise. As with a souffle, an essential part of the process is not opening the oven door to check on how it's doing, lest it "fall."

I'm not sure if the closed door is actually necessary, or just a local rule designed to increase anticipation within the family and reflect greater glory upon the cook.

Now that I've inherited the Making of the Pudding, thank goodness for ovens with windows and lights! I had a lot less to worry about while I was heating the gravy.

2 comments:

  1. Oooohhhhh, Yorkshire pud! Mmmmmm, I have no idea how to make it. Love it though, and yours looks divine.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.