Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Begin Reading....Now

The big day finally arrived. The National Book Award finalists were announced at noon sharp and within 15 minutes I was driving around on my annual egg hunt to get my hands on as many of the five fiction nominees as I could. Unfortunately, I was able to locate only two of the books within a 50-mile radius of my home in South Florida, which speaks volumes -- no pun intended -- about the level of obscurity we're dealing with this year. I had never heard of any of the authors and, normally, I have no problem finding all five books the day they're announced. Not this time. I had to go online and order the other three.

Now comes the fun part: reading them. The goal is to have all five finished before the winner is announced Nov. 17. That comes to about a book every six days between now and then. At the end, I'll pass along my prediction on which one I think will win. My handicapping has been pretty decent. I've nailed three of the past four winners.

5 comments:

  1. The whole story just made me smile. Love the thought of you driving around and searching for books, then reading like mad! Faith in humanity gets a few points from this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What can I say? It's my favorite day of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you have your own personal "challenge"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How much fun is that!! Good luck with your challenge:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The real challenge will be coming up with the bucks to pay for first-edition copies of "To Kill a Mockingbird," "Catcher in the Rye," "Catch-22" and other great works on my list. The reading is the easy part.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.