Thursday, August 27, 2009

Pynchon's Latest

One of the big pluses of reading contemporary fiction is that your favorite writer will periodically produce a new book and you have the thrill of dashing out to buy and read it.

Take that, you boring old Canon of Literature, you!

Along that line of thinking, C.S. sent me the link to the promotional video for Thomas Pynchon's new book, Inherent Vice. The video is narrated by the man himself, which is rather cool. And it's part of a whole website devoted to All Things Pynchon. Also pretty cool. C.S. is very psyched that there is a new Pynchon in town.

This book is apparently a whole new angle for Pynchon, who is, shall we say, um, not my favorite author. C.S. figured I could use a little extra incentive to watch the promo. And I quote: "You'll even see a cat in the video!"

Smart man.

6 comments:

  1. And thank you for reminding me of a perfect kitten opportunity! I added a picture. After I stopped laughing.

    By the way, did you read the recent review/confession by Sam Anderson that caused a little dust up over this book? I'm not a Pynchon fan, so I enjoyed every word: http://nymag.com/arts/books/reviews/58182/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a good read!

    If you want to do the charm swap, friend, then visit my blog and follow the links to the registration; I set up an Etsy "charm bracelet kit" so I could keep everything straight and organized... hopefully!

    xoxo
    Sasha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rose, Anderson pretty much says what I believe when it comes to Pynchon . . . and he gave him way more of a chance than I did. Once C.S. told me about the pig suit in Gravity's Rainbow, I was so outta there.

    Saucy, all I can say is: try before you buy on this one. Trust me. (Charm swap is way more my speed!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Before you go knocking Pynchon, let me ask: how much of it have you actually read? Just wondering. J.G.?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wondered if you would leap to Pynchon's defense, C.S. :-)

    I read The Crying of Lot 49 and enough of Gravity's Rainbow to know he wasn't for me. That's not to say he isn't one of the biggies. He's just not my cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm guessing not everyone liked Ulysses when it came out, either. You're either ahead of the curve -- or you're behind it.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.