Friday, July 10, 2009

New Laws

Don't you just love the "laws" of life?

Murphy's Law: If anything can go wrong, it will.

Finagle's Law of Dynamic Negatives (a/k/a Finagle's Corollary to Murphy's Law): Anything that can go wrong, will—at the worst possible moment.

Parkinson's Law: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is usually the best.

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (This one's a special favorite!)

Thanks to a report about the recent computer attacks, I'd like to nominate a new law. I heard a story on NPR that included an interview with Stewart Baker, a former Homeland Security official. He talked about the importance of considering--at this apparently early stage of the attacks--the possibility of a catastrophic attack, based on lessons learned from Hurricane Katrina and the financial meltdown. So I am pleased to present:

Baker's Law: If something seems bound to happen sooner or later, eventually it will actually happen.

I think that's a law I can use.

1 comment:

Talk to me! I love external validation.