Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Packing and Preparations

Laundry detergent. Check. Sunscreen. Check. Toilet paper. Check.

Let's see. What am I missing here as I begin packing for baseball spring training, where I'll spend the next seven weeks living off and on in a rented condo?

Why, of course! Books. Because of its sunrise to sunset nature, spring training doesn't allow me as much time to read. By the end of the day, much of which I've spent outside standing and sweating in the sun, I'm drained -- too tired to read.

But I don't give up reading altogether. I just make an adjustment. Instead of novels, which can go unread for days at a time, I turn to short story collections, which are just perfect for the frequent interruptions that would spoil a novel. Fortunately, my National Book Award reading list contains quite a few such works, and I've stockpiled several to take with me to spring training.

So into the moving box they go:

Tyrants Destroyed and Other Stories, by Vladimir Nabokov. Check. Beasts of the Southern Wild & Other Stories, by Doris Betts. Check. Searches and Seizures, by Stanley Elkin. Check.

That should get me through.

2 comments:

  1. Good solution! Oh, I would NOT mind seven weeks standing around watching baseball. Hope you're packing a hat. I can also see why maybe going up to TO is appealing after all that heat. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny you should mention a hat, as I bought both a floppy, "Bora Bora" hat (sun protection) and bike helmet (brain) just last night. So I should be good to go.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.