Monday, February 23, 2009

Blogging by Proxy

J.G.'s computer is sick and in the shop, and she asked me to take over blogging duties tonight even though I'm a little short on bloggable material at the moment. (Is bloggable even a word?) Doubt that any members of our Hotch Pot audience would be interested, but I am working on a story about baseball players who bat right but throw left. Apparently, these types of players are extremely rare, far fewer in number than their opposites, players who bat left but throw right. Not sure exactly why that is, other than there are fewer natural throwing lefties to start with. I'm open to other theories if you have one.

Other than that....I finished Nabokov (what a descriptive writer) and moved on to Stanley Elkin. I'm still on the short stories kick as I try to make it through spring training. Just 40 more days to go.

3 comments:

  1. I have a copy of Nabakov's complete (I think) short stories coming up on my TBR shelf. I am really looking forward to it.

    I am interested in what you think of Stanley Elkin. I've never read anything by him, but George Mills and Mrs. Ted Bliss shw up on a couple of my Must Read lists, so I will turn to them eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that bloggable is now officially a word...imho.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is only my second Elkin book and my memory of the first, The Macguffin, was that it was typical of the experimental style favored by authors in the 1970s, which was Elkin's heyday. I'm not going to put him on a plane with, say, Pynchon or Gaddis, but he's definitely in their universe. You'll often see him described as "radical," "innovative" and "avant-garde," but I found him to be more accessible than some of the others who fall into that category.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.