Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Movies I Like(d)


As part of my ongoing effort to simplify my life, I am downsizing my DVD collection. I know, I know, DVDs are going the way of vinyl records and 8-track tapes and will someday come around to be popular again. If I hang onto them long enough I will be on trend.

However, the fact remains that I never watch these. They take up space and gather dust and I have happy memories of key scenes without ever wanting to watch the entire movie. (In this case, "ever" means in maybe the past 20 years! That's a long time to keep something and not use it.) 

Far better to donate them to the library's used book store and let someone else enjoy and store them.

I'm making the list here so I can remember them, in case I ever want to stream them in the future. I think they remain good stuff -- and I know them well enough that I can play the highlights back in my mind on demand, without resorting to YouTube or whatever. 

Bang the Drum Slowly - Robert DeNiro, Michael Moriarty & Vincent Gardenia -- A book-to-film about baseball and more that totally works. The novel is one of my favorite books of all time.

The Big Chill - Tom Berenger, Glenn Close, Jeff Goldblum, William Hurt, Kevin Kline, Mary Kay Place, Meg Tilly & Jobeth Williams -- An ensemble cast where you wish you could join in. Kevin Costner famously isn't in this one.

Breaking Away - Dennis Christopher, Dennis Quaid, Daniel Stern & Jackie Earle Haley  --  Charming, funny and sad. Not your ordinary bicycle racing movie, not by a long shot.

Buck - Buck Brannaman -- A life-changing documentary about a real-life horse whisperer who recognizes that horse problems are people problems.

Bull Durham - Kevin Costner, Susan Sarandon & Tim Robbins -- What I watch when there's no baseball. Captures the minor leagues and features old favorite Max Patkin.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - Paul Newman, Robert Redford & Katherine Ross  -- A classic, funny buddy pic with dreamy actors and a great story. 

Camelot - Richard Harris, Vaness Redgrave, Franco Nero & David Hemmings -- Mostly for the music.

Fandango - Kevin Costner, Judd Nelson, Sam Robards, Chuck Bush & Brian Cesak -- A sleeper with memorable scenes and a resonant coming-of-age story. 

Ferris Bueller's Day Off - Matthew Broderick, Mia Sara & Alan Ruck -- I used to relate to Ferris (in the sense of wanting to be Ferris, who moves through life very lightly) but now I relate to the parents. A classic, either way.

Four Weddings and a Funeral - Hugh Grant, Andie MacDowell, Kristen Scott Thomas & Simon Callow -- Funny and poignant. 

Funny Farm - Chevy Chase & Madolyn Smith -- Sure, go ahead, move to Vermont, if you can stand it. A gem of a comedy with a million classic lines.

Hannah and Her Sisters - Woody Allen, Michael Caine, Mia Farrow, Carrie Fisher, Barbara Hershey, Lloyd Nolan, Maureen O'Sullivan, Daniel Stern, Max Von Sydow & Dianne Wiest -- A wonderful ensemble cast, but I'm not sure how I feel about this one, now that I know more about Woody Allen.

Let It Ride - Richard Dreyfuss, Teri Garr, Jennifer Tilly & David Johansen -- A quirky and clever sleeper of a movie that I discovered because I once owned a horse that appeared in the racing scenes. He loses the big race in the movie, but he was a winner for us. (The book was awful, by the way.) 

Midnight Run - Robert De Niro & Charles Grodin -- Classic buddy pic with a surfeit of bad language and great characterization, including an excellent supporting cast. And De Niro! 

My Blue Heaven - Steve Martin, Rick Moranis, Joan Cusack, Carol Kane, Melanie Mayron & William Hickey -- Hilarious on so many levels.

My Cousin Vinny - Joe Pesci, Ralph Macchio, Marisa Tomei & Fred Gwynne -- The best lawyering movie ever: the search for truth made compelling and laugh-'til-you-cry funny. Language warning, but who cares?

My Fair Lady - Audrey Hepburn & Rex Harrison -- Classic songs!   

My Favorite Year - Peter O'Toole, Jessica Harper, Joseph Bologna & Mark Linn-Baker -- A funny period piece carried by the charm of its characterizations.  

Out of Africa - Robert Redford & Meryl Streep -- Beautifully captures the essence of the books, which are among my favorites. 

The Paper Chase - Timothy Bottoms, Lindsay Wagner & John Houseman -- The rigors of that make-or-break first year of law school. Dated but still rings true.

The Princess Bride - Cary Elwes, Mandy Patinkin, Chris Sarandon, Christopher Guest, Wallace Shawn, Andre the Giant, Robin Wright, Peter Falk, Carol Kane & Billy Crystal -- Great lines that will last you a lifetime.

Sunshine State - Jane Alexander, Angela Passett, Gordon Clapp, Edie Falco, Miguel Ferrer, Timothy Hutton, James McDaniel, Mary Steenburgen -- Florida in a nutshell.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me! I love external validation.