Thursday, December 31, 2020

Challenges Update

Not just reading challenges: life challenges need an update as well.  

The day after Christmas I had a house fire. Fortunately, I was home at the time. The fire department arrived promptly and the damage was confined to a relatively small area. The firemen did a fantastic job of not inundating the books with water but believe me, you never want to see them unspooling a fire hose through your front door!

Most of the house survived and appears normal, but the electricity and water are turned off and some pretty big repairs are needed. I am staying with Kayak Guy, who is great in a crisis. Three of 4 cats are with me and seem to be fine. Missy is still missing. She is a former feral and I suspect she has gone into full survival mode. There is no sign of her in the area, but I haven't given up hope of locating her.

All this to say, I am seeing your comments but it may be some time before I can blog the updates and details. I will try to do it this weekend, but I can't make any promises because the things that need my attention change from day to day. 

If you would like an extension to finish things up, please consider it granted. Let's say January 15th.

Let's also say good-bye to this crazy and tragic year and hello to better days in 2021. 

Please love the people and creatures and things you love fiercely and keep your priorities straight. You never know when things may change.  

Happy New Year, everyone!

8 comments:

  1. Dear Jane,
    I am very sorry you had the terror of a fire, even though it turned out all right and damage was minimal. Belongings, comfort, supplies, and our safe, healthy home environments matter while we are on Earth. I am grateful we are safe in our forest.

    I know too well the sadness and fear of a cat family member missing for 3 years. I am not giving up on Conan, who has a tattoo and who had an unusual reason for trotting off on a vacation tour. Your kitty has a very good reason for hiding from strangers and chaos and it has only been a week. You will get her back. Frequent the property as much as you can and of course tell neighbours to watch for her.

    The same as you, me, and others; 2020 is difficult and brought concerns for reasons having nothing to do with a world disease. May our worries wearoff and be resolved and may we all be healthy, safe, and happy starting now. Your friend, Carolyn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so relieved that you and the kitties are alright, and as you say, the feral one knows how to get away. How did it start? I hope your house doesn't smell too bad. Am thankful your books are okay, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear this, Jane. 2020 really has been a very tough year for everyone. Here's wishing that 2021 is good for everyone. Stay healthy and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neeru, a general concern about covid-19 does not equal private stress people went through. Jane had a house fire and is missing a cat. 2020 was not "the same for everyone".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carolyn please, I understand quite well what Jane has suffered.

      Delete
    2. Neeru, I promise, your kind and thoughtful nature are never questioned. Merely, I have seen the virus topic drowning out other hard times. I have had a death again, this January as well! 2021 is just as bad! My dear cat, Spirit, had stomach cancer and ascended to Heaven at home on January 14. :( I hope Jane tells us that Missy is back.

      Delete
  5. I'm just seeing this now, Jane. I'm so sorry and am very glad that you are okay and the damage was minimal. Glad the three kitties are safe as well and I hope you'll soon find Missy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jane, I hope you are alright, that things are better, and your little kitty has returned. Take care.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.