Monday, August 24, 2020

And Here We Are, Again

Or should I say: here we are still?

Nothing much has changed except  . . . wait, how did it get to be the end of August already? 

Seriously, I don't know where this year has gone, except that it has dripped away day by day, just like the others, but with less busy-ness and fewer milestones. I suppose soon it will be the holidays and 2021. Apparently time flies even when it seems to crawl.

I haven't had any push from my supervisors to return to the office. I confess I miss being part of the team in a "physically present" sense. The phone and email are nice and Zoom is very nice, but it's limited. What I hear from my closest coworkers is that everyone stays in their office with their door closed all day, every day, so I'm not sure there's much difference between office and home in terms of collegiality. I have also seen the periodic memos asking everyone to please abide by the social distancing rules of no talking in offices, please use the conference rooms and spray Lysol afterwards to clear the air, please follow the arrows when you walk around, etc. None of that encourages me to rush back.   

I had my annual review and it was nerve-wracking. I am definitely a person whose self-evaluation focuses on what I did not get done, rather than what I accomplished. Even so, the review was favorable and my paycheck will show that with a modest increase. And yes, I know I am damned lucky to have a solid job when so many are without work or security or both.

My city had a real live big deal tornado this past week. It wasn't close to my house, but seeing that damage on the other side of town means it was close enough! Many big oaks either fell over or had their canopies destroyed, leaving nothing but the shattered trunk standing. Underneath were houses, cars, and motor homes, some damaged beyond repair. Fortunately no one was killed. A few days later a freak wind gust in a thunderstorm flipped over a bunch of small planes at our municipal airport. So it's been a crazy summer. It looks like the two current hurricanes will miss us, but I'm not feeling very relaxed about our summer weather.

Photo credit: Harry Smith

Photo credit: Harry Smith

This baby was a big bright spot, though: Meet L.P. I'll share his story soon. He deserves a post all to himself! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me! I love external validation.