Monday, April 6, 2020

Humble Favorites


One of the plusses of being at home 99% of the time since March 17 has been the opportunity to observe my semi-wild yard at all hours of the day. I keep the front yard quite conventional -- fitting in with the Joneses, so to speak -- but the back yard is landscaped mostly by Mother Nature. The more I see, the more I appreciate.

I have a fresh crop of dandelions every morning, turning their fresh yellow faces to the sky. Soon they're gone to puffballs and the cycle begins again.

The cardinals come first to the feeder, when it's barely light, and are the last to visit at night, as well. Sometimes they stay so late that I wonder how they can see to fly. At more traditional hours I see mourning doves, a couple of grackles, a Carolina wren, chickadees, a red-bellied woodpecker, and a mockingbird or two. Occasionally a tiny gnatcatcher zips through, and sometimes the catbird stops by. I can hear others in the bushes but haven't identified them yet.

The passionvine is still blooming enthusiastically. My friends tell me that its fruits are edible and delicious. I'm hoping I get some!

The mesclun lettuce is still hanging on in the garden, although it's getting a bit warm. I pick it in the morning, wash it, and use it in salad for lunch or dinner. It's incredibly satisfying to eat something I've grown. I definitely will do more of that.

I've already planted crowder peas and started some collards. Both of them like Florida summers, which will be here any day now.

There's nothing particularly noteworthy about any of this. But it's my back yard, a little spot of wild Florida, and I love it. 

2 comments:

  1. Jane, how wonderful to have such a backyard all your own. So Uplifting at this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am making the most of it, although I do get the urge to see other landscapes at times. Hope you're doing well!

      Delete

Talk to me! I love external validation.