Friday, August 11, 2017

What Happened to My Life?

On the heels of my triumph over the bathtub drain -- and I must say before we go any further that there's a certain giddy pleasure in standing over a drain that's working perfectly and with something like enthusiasm and knowing that you're responsible for that! -- I realized that I don't do things like that often enough.

Whatever the reason, recent life has become a mad rush from one task to another. I'm getting a lot done, but I'm never caught up. I never have any downtime. And because some of the tasks themselves are variable, there is no rhythm to it.

I call this phenomenon "spinning the plates" and it's the worst of all possible worlds.

This is not to say I don't have any fun. I have plenty of fun -- but it's been another appointment on the calendar, competing for attention and always accompanied by that twinge of guilt that reminds me I "should" be doing something else.

Time to change that. Time for some more-than-halfway-through-2017 resolutions.

I will say "No" more often. Overcommitment is a big challenge for me.

I will stop worrying so much about what needs to get done and let others do those things more often. It's likely the world will continue turning even if I'm not there to leap into every gap.

I will arrange my life so I don't come home from the workday, grab a quick dinner, and sit down at the computer for another marathon session. That's no way to live.

I will read more. Not just because challenge deadlines are beginning to appear on the nearer horizon, but for pleasure.

I will prioritize some of the "me" things that seem always to get steamrolled by over-scheduling. Sleep. Exercise. Decent meals. Downtime. I will rediscover them all over again.

2 comments:

  1. We are in exactly the same place!!! I too am sweating to make the changes I need to make too enjoy it all more. I'd say we should blog about it, but that would be counter productive were it an obligation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, just seeing this now . . . . Sympathy and understanding coming your way, in the same boat. Why is it so hard to make things easier???

      Delete

Talk to me! I love external validation.