Monday, January 23, 2017

More of That Synchronicity Stuff

I just love it. Maybe I'm actually living in the flow and don't know it, because this also happened:

A woman came into the library's book store recently and was looking for books by a particular author. I'm not sure what she said, exactly, except she knew how to say his name correctly. You can make up your own beautiful sounds--it's far too complex for me to attempt in writing. It quite something to hear the properly pronounced and accented name: "Paulo Coelho."

I could see that my coworker wasn't getting it. I wasn't completely sure that I was getting it, either, but somehow I knew what I needed to do: I translated. "She means Paul-oh COLE-hoe," I said. Yes, that's exactly who she meant! We didn't have the book on hand, but she's on the waiting list now.

Later that same day, as I'm reading along in Ilustrado (a novel set in the Philippines, for goodness' sake), what do I read? One of the characters says she likes a local author, but that "He's no Paulo Coelho."

I mean really, what are the chances?

For the record, Paulo Coelho is a Brazilian lyricist and novelist, and his book The Alchemist, already on my TBR list, has moved up quite a few notches. I'm thinking it's probably time for me to read it, given all these hints from the Universe.

6 comments:

  1. Amazing. I love stuff like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this stuff too! A few years ago while chatting with a friend over coffee she told me I had to read The Celestine Prophecy by James Redfield. I think this was in about 1995, but anyway that bit doesn’t really matter. After finishing our coffee and promising to meet again in a couple of weeks, I left her and went into my local Waterstones. Any thoughts about The Celestine Prophecy had already left my mind intent as I was on buying a particular photography book for my husband’s birthday. The photography section was upstairs, but as I walked through a corridor heading for the right department, I was struck on the shoulder by a falling book – something that had not happened before and has never happened since. There on the floor in front of my feet was … The Celestine Prophecy – what are the chances? I still puzzle over it to this day, but for some reason, I was meant to buy that book, so I did. I can’t remember what Terry got for his birthday that year, but it certainly wasn’t the photography book. I was just too dumbfounded to think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That's amazing, Barbara. I can't think of any explanation besides yours: you were meant to buy that book on that day! Was it especially important to you, when you read it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It made a very big impact on me at the time, but I’ve not read it for a number of years, and I can't remember why! I can see it on the shelf as I type this, so I must take it down and read it again. It will be interesting to see if it makes an impact this time.
    I know it spent something like 140 weeks on the New York Times Best-Seller list and was a big hit but has since fallen out of favour. New-Age spirituality was all the thing back then, and I remember the story is based on spiritual and psychological ideas. It might be a perfect book to read right now with how things are in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I ever read it. Usually the best seller list gives me the books not to read! Let me know if it jogs your memory when you pick it up again.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.