Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Hatches Battened

With Matthew's approach, we are packed and ready to move to safety. We secured the outside plants, furniture, kayaks, and whatnot. I also photographed everything in the house and shed, and uploaded the pictures, just in case the worst happens and we need to make an insurance claim.

With hurricanes, you never know. It might change course and miss us, or it might change course and clobber us, or it might stay on its present course and give us a nasty punch. Whatever happens, we'll be in another city.

All living beings from this household -- human and feline -- are heading out tomorrow to stay with friends. They live well outside the cone of uncertainty and generously offered us refuge for the next few days.

It's difficult to leave the books behind, knowing that if there is wind or water damage they may not survive. I took a few books with me and resigned myself to losing the rest, if I must.

For extra courage, I'm planning to read this one while we're waiting out the storm. Not only is it one of my very favorite novels, it features the great Okeechobee hurricane of 1928, in which the lake is depicted as a monster rolling in its bed and then rising to overwhelm the surrounding landscape with a flood of 20 feet in some places.


About 2,500 people, mostly poor African-American migrant farmworkers, were killed in the towns surrounding the lake. Afterward a huge dike was built around the lake, in the name of flood control -- but as with many environmental engineering projects, that created other problems and unintended consequences that continue to this day.

It's a fearsome thing, that watery monster, but Janie survives its assault. And so shall we, with much less hardship.

Here's a wish for safety and minimal damage to my friends in harm's way across Florida. May the winds and waters be kind to you all.

6 comments:

  1. Good luck!!! Ive read one of her books and I'm looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Things went well and yes, you really should read this one. It spoke to me even though it's certainly not my exact experience (by a long shot) -- it's one of those universal female stories.

      Delete
  2. Please do keep in touch, if possible. So good that you have a place to stay where you can bring your kitty. But I'd worry about the books, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were very fortunate! The cats were a bit disoriented, but it was overall very easy and with a happy outcome. No damage to speak of.

      Delete
  3. Jane, I'm so glad you'll be somewhere safe. Bless your friends! I have a cousin in Orlando who insists that he is staying put and ready to ride out the storm.

    I don't think I realized what this book was about. I think I need to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were lucky indeed. Not only that we could get away, but that the storm stayed offshore so those of us inland were spared the worst of it. How did your cousin fare?

      Yes, you would probably enjoy this one. It's such a wonderful story, and speaks so strongly to me, so I'm always recommending it . . . .

      Delete

Talk to me! I love external validation.