Thursday, September 8, 2016

Still Reading


In case you were wondering, yes, I am still plugging away diligently at The Famished Road. It's part of several challenges and my personal quest to read all the Booker winners, and I will be finishing it. But I'm not liking it much.

It's an interesting blend of plot -- young boy growing up in Africa amidst political turmoil -- and magical realism, where spirits and alternate realities can (and do!) erupt at any time. Author Ben Okri has an astonishing ability to spin from believable dialog and detail into fantastically fluid dream-like episodes, but it's a little bit like having a conversation with a friend who keeps veering off into tangents. I keep wanting to say, "Hey, my friend, focus. Focus!"

Meanwhile, I have started reading Hemingway's Islands in the Stream as an antidote to all those adjectives. It's very refreshing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me! I love external validation.