Friday, August 19, 2016

On Time (and the Lack Thereof)

Whew!

My work life has shifted around this year and while I like the changes, the adjustment is taking some time.

Things I gave up include a 2-hour daily commute in frightful traffic, office hours, dressing in "business casual" every day, and a steady paycheck.

Things I gained include working from home, making my own schedule, wearing shorts or jeans anytime I feel like it, and wondering what's next in the financial department.

I'm coming to the end of contract work for my previous employer and looking forward to another contract for occasional work, the possibility of teaching in the spring semester, and starting my own business. I've never thought of myself as an entrepreneur, but the idea is growing on me. Fortunately I have a wonderful community of entrepreneurial friends and a fabulous mentor, so I'm on my way, with confidence that I can do it.

Funny, though, that now I'm not working full time, I feel busier than ever. That's a surprise. Maybe it's that I used to say "Heck no, I don't have time for that" and now I think I will?

It sure seem that I'm always trying to squeeze everything in, while feeling the need for better time management. I'm starting to think it's time to dust off the One Thousand Ways to Say "No" that I practiced in law school.

The biggest time soak right now is setting up a website for my new venture (still under wraps, for now). Of course, once I get it situated, I won't have to do much with it. Except hopefully welcome legions of clients.

Time will tell!    

4 comments:

  1. Jane, the same thing happened to me when I left corporate life. How did I ever find the time to work full-time plus? I'm not sure why although your theory makes sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to hear it's not just me. Have you heard the phrase FOMO (fear of missing out)? I think I'm quite susceptible to it.

      Delete
  2. I can't believe you have time to write your blog with all you do!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all about prioritizing the priorities - and they shift all the time. :-)

      Delete

Talk to me! I love external validation.