Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Waylaid at the Bookstore


In my town, we have a fabulous bookstore. They have quite a bit of everything, new and used -- including what I would consider a surfeit of romance novels -- but they are also strong on contemporary fiction. I noticed a lot of prize-winning books and authors as I was browsing the shelves on my last trip. That's one sign of a quality bookstore.

Anyway, I was using some of the newly refreshed book lists and my semi-reliable memory to sleuth out some new reads. Maybe I should have been at home with Wolf Hall, but you know how that goes.

These days it can be a challenge to rely on my memory, because lots of books sound familiar to me and sometimes I can't quite remember why.

For example, the book on the Pulitzer list (which I did not have with me) is this:


It was first published in 1921 and chronicles the dangers and costs of social climbing in the small-town Midwest, as practiced by the title character. It won the Pulitzer Prize in 1922.

What I came home with was this:


This book, written by Alice Adams, a real person, begins at Radcliffe College, 1943, and follows 5 women friends from their first meeting through the next 40 years of their lives. I can imagine that the 40s through the 80s will provide plenty of opportunity for personal development and social commentary.

Alice Adams the book, Alice Adams the author, what's the difference, right? Thank you, whoever is running my mental catalog these days.

But Superior Women sounds good, so I will probably read it. Eventually.

4 comments:

  1. I can so totally understand getting waylaid at the bookstore. Sounds like you have a good one, and if I ever make it to Deland, I will check it out.
    I have not read Wolf Hall, but after seeing the series on PBS, I have wanted to read the book. I'll be interested to read your review.
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have 3 great places to browse, but I do have a favorite . . . . Might make a good post in the future!

      I'm enjoying Wolf Hall so far. Many pages still to go!

      Delete

Talk to me! I love external validation.