Friday, July 12, 2013

Reading Again

After a long drought (nearly a year without finishing a book!), I've started reading again. Sometimes I only manage a page or two, after a particularly long, tiring day, but it is very nice to have a few moments outside my own life before I turn out the lights.

I only read 3 books in all of 2012, but in the past 2 months I've already read 6 books. That's not a lot for some people. Heck, that's not a lot even for me. But at least it shows that I'm building up some momentum again. Maybe I'm even returning to my previous form of being an avid reader.

I'm just about to start The Tiger's Wife and it sounds really interesting. It's the story of a young doctor trying to figure out the truth about her grandfather's recent death by revisiting his beloved volume of Kipling's The Jungle Book, which he carried with him everywhere. Nice concept, isn't it?

I tend to enjoy books that refer to other books, anyway, so this one should be a breeze, filled with references to stories I knew and loved as a child.

What's surprising about this book is that it doesn't start with an epigraph from Kipling's book. You'd think it would, right? And my copy is inscribed by the author (I think - it's one of those very stylized signatures so I can't be sure), "To Kathy, with so much gratitude."

Apparently Kathy did not reciprocate, or something else happened to separate her from this book. Another mystery.

6 comments:

  1. Oh dear. I always feel sad and awful when I get a used book and it's got a thoughtful inscription in it. Just "To X from Y" is okay, but when it's something like "with so much gratitude", I get depressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - and I think that kind of sad, mysterious inscription would make a great jumping off point for a novel.

      Delete
  2. Hey, congrats on returning to reading! I've had minor cases of reader's block and find it very stressful--so I sympathize. I'll be interested to hear how The Tiger's Wife is...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The break has definitely been good for me. My appetite is renewed. I am enjoying The Tiger's Wife so far but am not sure I understand it. Perhaps all will be revealed as I keep reading.

      Delete
  3. Such personal inscriptions always make me wonder. It's hard not to make a story out of it, isn't it?

    I have never stopped reading but I have taken reading holidays. Then I only read mysteries. After my last long holiday, I'm back and have begun serious reading with 'Beatrice and Virgil'. Talk about jumping in...it's like beginning a delicious meal with the entree!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds very interesting. I'll look into it.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.