Monday, January 2, 2012

Outdoors Again

One of the perks of working in education is having mandatory vacation for the week between Christmas and New Year's. Last week I went into the office one afternoon to get ahead a bit . . . and the first e-mail I opened was an invite to go for a woods walk that very afternoon.

Needless to say, my plans changed in a blink. It was productive procrastination of the highest order.

My friend had heard there were bald eagles in the area we visited, and sure enough, as soon as we arrived we saw a pair of them flying in tandem, soon followed by another pair, also flying wing to wing. We also saw two nests high in the trees. I'm hoping that means two families of eaglets in the springtime.

Because I spent a significant amount of work time last spring glued to the Decorah Eagle webcam (with my boss's blessing!), it's really exciting that I may be able to see a similar family event in my own area, albeit from a much lower vantage point.

We walked a ways along the St. Johns River this time, merely the latest in 4,000 years of human footsteps in this very place.

The oak trees continued to cast their white velvet spell of silence, except when the woodpeckers were chucking and the barred owl was calling his eternal question.

5 comments:

  1. Fabulous photos. We have an ospry nest and an eagle's nest in the towers next to our school. I know it's going to be a good day when I see them flying in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Lucky you, to have them so close by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the idea of 4000 years of footsteps. We hardly ever think of that when we travel through our own natural beauty.
    Bald eagles are plentiful here now. We always have a few soaring or waiting patiently at the tops of trees but their numbers are increasing as economic refugees from the north arrive in search of better food opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephanie, this place has a very strong feeling of history, so the idea kind of suggests itself. And eagles are always a thrill.

    Oreneta, thank you. Glad you are enjoying seeing more of Florida.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.