Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Birth Year Reading Challenge 2012 - Honors

Back by popular demand, and with a few new wrinkles in this, its third year.

Birth Year Reading Challenge 2012 - Honors

What books were published the year you were born, or the birth year of someone special to you? This challenge encourages you to find out, and then read some of them. You might even draw a few conclusions about social and literary trends that year. If nothing else, you'll have an incentive to explore books you might otherwise not have considered.

Wikipedia has lists of books by year published. You can also check literary prize lists for high-quality choices. Using Google to locate “best books of _____” also provides some interesting choices. There is also a cool feature at BibliOZ where you can check the New York Times bestseller list for the week you were born. (Special thanks to 3m at 1morechapter for pointing this out.)

If you already participated in this challenge, or if you discover you were born in a year of unattractive books, the Honors option gives you the chance to sample another year instead. So read on!

Ready to join? Leave a comment and a link to your post, and I'll sign you right up.

Click here to see who is participating and how they are doing so far.

RULES

1. Join anytime between now and November 30, 2012. The challenge ends at midnight EST on January 31, 2013.

2. a. Choose books from your birth year.

AND/OR

2. b. Choose someone you want to honor, then choose books from their birth year. Your sign-up post should include who they are (not necessarily by name) and the reason you want to honor them.

3. Books may come from your TBR pile or list, but they don’t have to.

4. Overlaps with other challenges are allowed and encouraged.

5. Change your list at any time.

6. Reviews and reactions are encouraged, but not required. You don’t need to have a blog to participate. But you do need to let me know of your progress, so I can bestow your virtual candles. (Here's the progress and reviews page from BYRC 2011, so you can see how it works.)

7. All genres and formats are eligible. If it’s a book, you can count it.

8. One candle is awarded for each qualifying book you read. There is no limit on how few or how many candles you can earn.

ACHIEVER PRIZES

When you meet your reading goal, you can select a book from my library – most likely a gently used trade paperback – and I'll mail it to you. But keep reading because . . .

OVERACHIEVER PRIZE

The person who reads the most books for the challenge will receive a fun little surprise package with a bookish theme. And . . .

GRAND PRIZE

On February 1, 2013, the three readers who’ve earned the most candles will be entered into a drawing for a $25.00 gift card from Barnes & Noble. Nothing like a little no-cost book shopping to start a new year off right!

32 comments:

  1. You know I'll be back...Now I just have to wait for Wikipedia to back up so I can check out the books from my chosen person's year....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay....you know what an over-achiever I am. Post is up--was able to find plenty of books just hanging out on the TBR pile. And I'm gonna honor TWO people with two separate years. Total commitment = eight books. Here's my post: http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2012/01/birth-year-reading-challenge-2012.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be back too. I love the Honor part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Glad y'all are in again this year!

    And Bev, the "overachiever" prize was designed with you in mind. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK...I'm in. My post is up complete with over-ambitious list. It was exciting to spend some time thinking about an honoree. I have moved wa-a-y ahead in time so should have no trouble finding books. Here's the link to my post:
    http://rowanberrystudio.blogspot.com/2012/01/first-step-and-challenge.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome, Stephanie! Such great options from your unexpected choice! This will be a good year for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here is my Sign-up post http://srivallip.blogspot.com/2012/01/birth-year-reading-challenge.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I came across this challenge at Stephanie's place and thought immediately of participating since this is a milestone year for me. My list has been posted at my book page: Wednesday Book Club.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i'm in. I will be doing a 'HOnor' year. who? HMMMMnn, I shall think on this one.
    where do we sign up at?
    love this challenge.
    http://sidnereviewz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome, Srivalli and April! Glad you are along for the adventure this year!

    Sidne, you can sign up right here by posting a link to your sign-up post. I have you as "post coming soon" right now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm Definitely doing this and I've created a blog and here is my link http://bookfanatic89.blogspot.com/p/birth-year-reading-challenge-2012.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome, Book Obsession! Glad to have you along. You are going to have a great time exploring your chosen years!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Here is mine: http://www.exurbanis.com/archives/5814

    ReplyDelete
  14. Not sure where to put the notes that a book has been found and read. I'll start here. My book "Cold Heaven" by Brian Moore is reviewed on my blog Feb 10.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats, Stephanie, you have the first candle!

    You can report your progress here or at the Progress & Reviews page:

    http://hotchpotcafe.blogspot.com/2012/01/birth-year-reading-challenge-2012_20.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this challenge! Thank you for hosting it. Can you sign me up? Here's my post: http://www.melindabrasher.com/2012/03/birth-year-reading-challenge.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for signing up, Melinda! You are listed on the progress page now, and welcome aboard.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Jane

    Inexplicably delayed but finally here's my post:
    http://inkquilletc.blogspot.in/2012/03/reading-challenge-30-birth-year-honors.html

    Thank you once again for the B&N card as well as for hosting this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, Neer -- No worries on the timing! Your sing-up post is now linked on the progress page. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  20. hi,

    I have created a post on my blog for this. saw your challenge from Neer's blog and loved the idea.

    http://classicmysteryhunt.blogspot.in/2012/03/birth-year-reading-challenge-2012.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. Welcome, Rishi! You are all signed up now. Glad to have you along!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just checked the week of my birth and To Kill a Mockingbird and Hawaii were on the list along with a few other greats - maybe I should take up the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sister Friend, it would be great to have you along. There's still plenty of time to join and those are some attractive choices.

    Hope to see a sign-up from you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello there. Great idea! Is this open to the public? If so I would like to participate.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi, eArnie, and thanks for visiting. You are welcome to join anytime before November 30.

    Looking forward to your post or comment about the books you'll read (per rule #2).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah!!!! I'm going to review the list(s) I made for myself and make sure they're reasonable. I read slow.

      Delete
    2. And,here's my blog post: http://bemolardiente.blogspot.com/2012/08/birth-year-reading-challenge.html?spref=fb

      Delete
    3. Okay, you are in! Welcome! Sounds like you'll have fun with the challenge -- you have the right attitude (what's not to like about taking a few days off work to read!).

      Delete
    4. 1. Passenger to Frankfurt has been read.

      Delete
    5. Immadork.

      I have NOT read Passenger to Frankfurt.
      I HAVE read Appointment with Death, by the same author.

      Delete
  26. It took me this long to realize that I had not officially signed up. I have now: http://www.rosecityreader.com/2012/01/2012-challenges-books-published-in.html

    =And I finished my first (maybe only) book, The Comedians by Graham Greene, which I reviewed: http://www.rosecityreader.com/2012/10/review-comedians.html#

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries! You are good to go now!

      Delete

Talk to me! I love external validation.