Friday, December 9, 2011

More of a Look-See

In my hiking education, I have a lot to learn. Apparently one of the lessons is that when you are only going for a look around, you do not have to worry that it will be dark soon.

Among the near-sunset adventures:

Three bald eagles -- two sitting on posts with the late afternoon sun illuminating their brilliant white heads, and one that flew directly over the car at close range.

A barred owl calling repeatedly across this oak hammock.

A close-up look at a shell midden. I'm not sure how old this one is, but the Timucuan people were here in Florida long before Ponce De Leon arrived in 1513. They ate a lot of clams and snails, and piled the shells up in great mounds. From ground level, this mound of shells is taller than a person. It's amazing to stand this close to history and feel that it's still present, that you're part of the continuity of time.


Lovely views of the St. John's River at dusk.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely lovely lovely bit of Florida! When we were on the St John's river in the boat the current was so strong we had to set sail to get under one of the bridges! While the cars piled up waiting and waiting. The bridge keeper was most amused and patient.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful places. How peaceful the river looks. But I think I like the forest the best.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.